2 killed, tens of thousands evacuated after explosion in south Kazakhstan

military depot in Kazakhstan

(Xinhua) — Two people were killed, 165 people injured and roughly 40,000 people were evacuated after an explosion rocked a military depot in Kazakhstan’s southern city of Arys, Turkestan region, the Ministry of Internal Affairs announced Tuesday.

According to the Deputy Minister of Internal Affairs Yuri Ilyin, one man killed in the Monday blast was a local resident, whose car was hit by the shell and caused his death. The other killed was a soldier of the Defense Ministry, and his body was found not far from the military unit during the search operations.

So far 165 people have come to seek medical assistance as a result of the explosion, Minister of Healthcare Yelzhan Birtanov said at the Government session.

“At present, it is impossible to extinguish fire at the military unit because of the explosion of the shells. There are 23 groups of firefighters working in Arys. Evacuation measures are ongoing, (and) 2815 people were evacuated from the territory of the emergency. More than 41,000 people have left the town,” the press service of the Ministry of internal affairs said.

Recommended For You

About the Author: Web Desk